Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, August 29, 2010

No more Clean Plate Club

It is time to withdraw my membership from the Clean Plate Club.  In this first week of non-pureed food I've learned one very important thing.  I have to stop eating before I'm too full.  The amount still on my plate is totally irrelevant.  This concept is so alien to what I learned as a small child.  Perhaps being raised by family who had survived The Great Depression inspired the habit of not wasting a morsel of food.  I usually retain any leftovers in my fridge until they are eaten or rediscovered much too late to be consumed. 

Early last week my family ordered take-out Chinese food.  Feeling adventurous, I ordered some shrimp egg foo yung.  I ate a portion about the size of an Oreo cookie and was quite full.  I put the rest in the fridge and had a little every day for lunch or supper.  After six days of egg foo yung there was still plenty left in the container.  I just couldn't face any more (probably would not be safe much longer anyway) and threw the rest away.  Needless to say, I have to find something smaller to order from the Chinese menu. 

Today I had some of my daughter's yummy meatloaf.  I put a piece about the size of a marshmallow on my plate with some of the low-fat gravy and about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes.  I didn't think it was too much but sure enough the pouch was full before the plate was empty.  I'm in a whole new world. 

Love you,
Marlena of Mohegan. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to read of your successes!

    I, too, need to learn to stop eating when I have had Enough. If I wait until I "feel full" it is usually too much and I regret it after. I need to spend more time listening to my body while I eat.

    ReplyDelete