Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, January 15, 2012

SUGAR INDUCED COMA!!!!!

Well, not really a coma but a sudden onset of a need to nap.  Let me explain.  


Today I went back to the gym.  I felt confident enough in my knee's recovery to get back on the bike.  If there was a problem at least I don't have to work tomorrow so I have some time to recover. No need though, I'm fine.  Anyway afterwards I went to rehearsal for our latest opera and did a quick dash to the mall.  Then, at home, we had a birthday celebration for my daughter, Katie.  Amanda, my other daughter made a beautiful rainbow birthday cake. 






It looked so wonderful and yummy that I decided to have a small piece.  It did taste delicious but after not having that amount of sugar in over 18 months it had a surprising effect on me.  I was extremely thirsty and drank a glass of milk.  Then I started yawning uncontrollably.  I had no reason to be very tired at 6 pm but I could barely hold my head up.  I went up to my bed and took a little nap.  For about two hours!  


Dr. Jarrett likes to remind me that even though I have not needed insulin injections since my bariatric surgery I am and always will be a diabetic.  People claim that weight loss surgery is a cure for diabetes but strictly speaking that is not true.  A type II diabetic has a pancreas that produces insulin but not enough.  In addition there is a tendency of insulin resistance which basically means that the insulin doesn't work as well at controlling the glucose level. 


 My gastric bypass limits the amount of food I can ingest and also the amount of nutrients I absorb.  An overdose of sugar-laden foods can cause a reaction called dumping syndrome.  The fear of the dumps made me cautious about eating sugar during the past 18 months.  I've never dumped yet and I don't want to.  I probably should have checked my blood sugar but the battery on my glucose meter is probably dead anyway.  It's been a long time since I tested.  I did not like the way I felt after eating that cake.  The reaction wasn't worth the pleasure of having it.  


I like to say that whenever things go wrong if you learn something from the experience then it isn't a waste.  So today's little reaction to sugar was not the same as a diabetic coma (or any other type of coma for that matter).  It was, however, a little kick in the ass to remind me that I feel better when I eat healthy.  


Love to all, 
Marlena of Mohegan



No comments:

Post a Comment