Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, May 7, 2010

What is a blog anyway?

I don't really get the whole blog thing just yet. Perhaps it is because I was born in an era when ball point pens, dialing your own phone calls and frozen dinners were cutting edge technology.

Anyway, I plan to chronicle my sojourn to a new life. I have finally committed to something I have refused to consider for too many years, gastric bypass surgery.

I have battled with weight for many years. I have been a lifetime member of Weight Watchers since I was 21 after losing over 70 lbs. I kept going back to Weight Watchers many times over the next 20 years. I would lose weight and gain it back plus more.

I was successful with Fen-Phen in my 40's and lost 100 pounds in 9 months. I felt wonderful and had no side effects but the drugs caused some people to develop pulmonary hypertension and subsequently were withdrawn from the market by the FDA. Again I gained back what I lost plus more.

I have tried running, bicycling, gardening, walking, weight lifting, tennis, bowling, roller skating and swimming for exercise. Usually any athletic activity leads me to some form of injury. I once tore my posterior cruciate ligament in my left knee at a roller disco in the 1980's. After three years of bowling I needed shoulder surgery. I have developed both tennis and golf elbow. At the time I was not doing either of those sports. I told the doctor that it was probably caused by smacking my kids. (LOL) The first time I used the rototiller in my garden I developed a radial nerve impingement and olecronon bursitis. I've had multiple ankle sprains. I had a meniscus tear in my knee that needed arthroscopic knee surgery.

I've counted carbs, fat grams, calories and Weight Watcher points.

I am at the point now where I cannot walk a short distance without becoming short of breath. I have to rest for a minute or two and let my heart rate get back to normal. I am on short term disability from my job because it was physically too demanding.

I want my life back. I want to be able to shop without back pain. I want to be able to sit in a chair without worrying if it will hold me. I want my lap back so I can hold my grandchildren on it. I want to be able to tie my shoes and breathe at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. You rock Marlena. I am excited to read about your journey. You are so brave. Lots of love...Lenora

    ReplyDelete