Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, February 6, 2011

More soup

The split pea soup went quickly.  Since we had more cold, icy, nasty weather I needed more soup.  I made tomato white bean and kielbasa soup with zucchini and baby spinach.  I thought it was delicious.  My husband thought he wouldn't like it but when he tried it he thought it was yummy.  It was spiced with chipotle seasoning, chopped onion, cumin and cilantro.  I haven't made the broccoli, barley & cheese soup yet but I will this week.  The coffee shop at work has a chicken pot pie soup that I'd like to replicate.  Someone today was eating stuffed red pepper soup from the cafe that smelled tasty.  We have plenty of soup weather left so I can experiment.

I'm still having somewhat of a plateau.  I'm not panicking about it though.  This week there was someone who I didn't even recognize that I passed in the hall at work and said to me "You look great".  It's nice to hear.

I have a friend who is contemplating bariatric surgery but is having second thoughts.  I told her that I understand how she feels.  It took a long time for me to arrive at the decision to have my gastric bypass.  There are eating habits developed over a lifetime which are linked to family, culture and pleasure.  It's like giving up very good friends.  Valentine's day is eight days away and it ranks high on my list of chocolate holidays.  I think that as the years go by it will get easier to pass by the holiday favorites.  I really don't dwell on what I can't have.

For me, I was to the point of feeling like I would die if I didn't have the surgery.  I had chronic congestive heart failure.  I could not do my job.  I had no stamina to do anything.  I could not sing and move on stage at the same time.  I got winded changing my clothes.  It was a tight fit in the driver's seat of my car.  I had pain in my back if I stood up for very long.  I was taking four shots of insulin per day.  I was more miserable than I knew.

Today I do not take any more insulin.  I don't have any more congestive heart failure.  I don't even need a seat belt extender in my car any more.  I am able to walk, work and move so much better.  My heart no longer races after climbing a flight of stairs or crossing the street.    It has not been an easy road.  Each step of the way had challenges which I have written about in this blog.  I am halfway to the goal I set with Dr. Choi.  I have a long way to go but I'm happy I made this choice.  Not everyone has to feel as desperate as I did when  I made my decision.  However, its your guts in there and you need to be sure you're ready to have them rearranged.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan.

1 comment: