Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FOOD IS FUEL.....my new mantra

The family was sitting round the TV last night enjoying some chips and other non-nutritive food.  I was a little jealous.  Even my new protein supplements, which aren't too bad (more about them later), are not FUN to eat.  How sad is that?  Food as entertainment.

As human beings we do not only eat with our mouths.  We eat with our eyes, nose and ears.  Japanese cuisine is usually presented artistically to stimulate the eyes as well as the palate.  Indeed, the sound and smell of popping corn,  the homey tableau of the Thanksgiving table and even the snap, crackle and pop of a certain breakfast cereal are essential parts of enjoying the experience of eating.

During this period of liquids only I have had to forgo the sensory pleasures of eating.  I have only hot or cold, salty or artificially sweetened liquids.  Some have been frozen or jelled.  That's it.  If I swallow too much at a time there is some pressure in my stomach.  If I get behind on my volume of fluids, I feel a little woozy.  I try to keep on a simple schedule and write down what I eat each day.  I keep track of carbs, ounces of liquid, protein grams and calories.  I eat from 60-80 grams of protein per day and roughly 500 calories.  I drink 64 ounces per day and more when the temperature is very hot.  If I keep up everything then I have energy for walking.  If I get behind then I don't feel up to it.    

I discovered on line Mybariatricpantry.com.  I ordered sample packs of several different protein supplements.  The milky bottled ,drinks called OH YEAH came in five flavors, one of which is banana cream.  Usually supplements are only  chocolate, vanilla or strawberry.  The banana wasn't bad and I appreciated the change.  I also got three different flavors of Isopure, a juicy supplement which does not have any carbs at all.  So far I have tasted two of them.  They need a little more sweetness, in my opinion, so I added Splenda to mine.  The third kind, called Nectar, comes in packets of powder.  I haven't tasted all the flavors yet.  Like the Isopure, it needs more sweetness.  They work best if you have a shaker.  The package says it mixes with a spoon but I had a few lumps. All the products I tried had way more protein than other supplements I have tried.  I appreciate being able to purchase sample packs to try things without having to order a whole case.                                                                                                                                                                          

So it is my task to keep the idea in my head not to be entertained or comforted by food but to remember that the engine of my body needs fuel.  Also I must learn to replace the emotional cues from tasty but unhealthy foods with other pleasures.  I learned this concept many years ago at Weight Watchers.  I just haven't been able to put it into practice yet.   If anyone has ideas I'd be glad to hear them. 

Best wishes,
Marlena of Mohegan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment