Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The first one was TOO big........

This morning I had a little trouble with my pills. You may remember that I am not supposed to swallow anything larger than an M&M candy.  One of my medications, Diovan, is an ovoid shape that is slightly bigger than what I should be swallowing.  Since my discharge from the hospital I have been breaking it in half (rather unevenly I'm afraid) and it has been going down OK.  Some tablets are nicely scored in the center and break in half easily.  Not this one.  One day last week I felt like something got kind of stuck but I could still swallow liquids and I felt better after a while.

Today after I swallowed the big half of the pill I immediately felt discomfort in my stomach.  It was fairly sharp.  I drank some more fluid and waited.  It didn't feel any better after the fluid.  This potentially was a serious problem.  If I could not get the pill to move I would have to go to the hospital and have it removed with endoscopy.  Ultimately it came back up along with everything I'd had to drink.  I still felt discomfort all day and finally took some Mylanta liquid which helped.

Now I have a pill splitter and I plan on making smaller pieces from now on.  I don't want to do that again.

On a good note, yesterday I went to the town track for my walking.  I wanted to know the actual distance I could do.  I went twice around the track for a total of half a mile.  When I first got home from the hospital I could barely walk half a block without becoming exhausted.  I try to do my walking in the evening when it is a little cooler.  Sometimes I have to stop and rest halfway through my walk but I feel a lot better than I did three weeks ago.

Best wishes,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment