Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, August 29, 2011

Soothing Stress With Food

This week has been interesting.  First we had a rare east coast earthquake.  I didn't actually feel it myself but it sure got a lot of people excited around here especially because of the nuclear power plant nearby.  Then there is my ongoing lack of fiscal responsibility.  I have not been very organized with my family finances and it has been difficult making ends meet lately.  Of course my job as an ER nurse is typically stressful from time to time.  Then this weekend we had Hurricane Irene.  I'd been noticing how I react to stressors with food.  Usually I do this without necessarily feeling actual hunger.  I grab something easy and quick but not necessarily the best choice.  I have not turned to sugary snacks but I'm not having vegetables either.  When I have fruit like cherries or grapes I have a hard time stopping myself before I eat too many.  I get overwhelmed and I just want to stuff things in my mouth.
.
I have been getting posts from Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) on facebook.  Today there was one that really spoke to  me "Why Obesity Doesn't Fit Into a Bento Box".  Every time I've had a major weight loss I have always gained back more than what I'd lost.  This article goes into detail about why that happens.  Here is a link for the article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/will-aguila-md/emotional-eating_b_935289..  Obviously this is something for me to work on.

Truly exercise is part of the process I hadn't used before.  I missed a day at the gym on Saturday because of the hurricane.  It really bothered me that I would have gone too long between gym days so I went on Sunday.  Normally I save Sundays for church and family but church was cancelled due to widespread damage from the storm.  On Friday I made a trip to Manhattan.  I definitely noticed a difference from the last time I went to the city.  I got around pretty well including all the stairs to the subways.  My left knee got sore but nothing like before when both knees were screaming for mercy.

We have been parking offsite at work due to temporary closing of a parking garage.  We are transported by coach bus from the parking lot.  Today was such a nice, sunny day that I walked instead.  It took me about thirty minutes.  The bus isn't that much faster by the time I board and wait for it to leave!  I've been trying to keep my pedometer to over 7000 steps per day.  So the walk put me over my goal.  Unfortunately my drive home was more trouble than my walk.  There are still many roads blocked because of downed trees and wires.  Many traffic lights were not working.  I'm very lucky to have not lost power from the storm.  We had flooding in the neighborhood but our basement just got a little damp.

I'm going to work on the stressors.  I want to be healthy and stay that way.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

1 comment:

  1. These are wise words, Linda. You're pretty impressive.

    ReplyDelete