Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Martha Stewart I'm Not

I decided to make some healthy soup the other day.  I felt a need to increase my intake of vegetables and I made up my own recipe for white bean and kale soup.  I thought I'd share it here along with pictures of the process.

White Bean and Kale Soup

Slice an onion and brown in olive oil till brown and carmelized.  Add one or two minced garlic cloves
 Add two cans chicken broth, one large can diced tomatoes, one or two cans of small white beans plus one cup of red wine.  (I had some fresh tomatoes so I diced them up and threw them in the pot too.)
 One Smoked Pork Hock.  Use one and freeze the rest for another time.
 One large potato peeled and diced.
 Four cups Kale washed and chopped.
 Add all ingredients to the pot with the onions.  Season to taste.  I used about 1/2 tsp tumeric, freshly ground pepper and a sprinkle of salt.  Cook for about an hour to let flavors blend and vegetables are tender.
 

 There is such a variety of green leafy vegetables available in the average supermarket.  We should all eat more of these but I rarely do.  I don't even know what to do with them all.  I'm not really fond of cooked greens in a soggy lump on a plate.  I like raw spinach in salad and I like spinach cooked into lasagne or other pasta recipes. Things like Swiss chard, kale, beet greens and collards were never served in my home when I was growing up.  I've tried broccoli rabe a few times.  I sauteed it with garlic but it tends to be bitter.  Rachael Ray made it on TV once and she said you have to parboil it then discard the water to get rid of the bitter taste.  Then saute with garlic in olive oil. I'll try that next time.  I like fresh beets but does one use the tops along with the bottoms?  Beets seem expensive in the store though.  You pay about a dollar per beet in the supermarket.  I planted them once or twice but only got a few pitifully little ones.

One of the things that intimidates me about the other leafy vegetable is that you can't buy just a little bit.  The package of kale I bought was as about the size of a throw pillow.  Everyone says it cooks down but I used four cups in my recipe and I still had practically the whole bag.  Well it did cook down but even though it was supposed to be washed and trimmed there were still some of the ribs present that did not get soft enough.

Anyway, my soup was very tasty and at least two of my family members ate multiple bowls.  Next time I want to try using the Swiss chard that comes in mixed colors.  First I'll have to use up the rest of my kale.  .

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I have been hoping that you would post some recipes of your delicious soups.

    ReplyDelete