Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Einstein Was On To Something

Ever notice how time goes faster or slower depending on your situation? For instance, the week before your vacation goes a lot slower than the actual vacation.  After the alarm rings in the morning those minutes speed up mercilessly.

 We learn from childhood that time is a constant.  Indeed our standard time zones came about in the 1800's in order to keep the railroads on schedule.  Just think. If everyone used the sun being directly overhead as noon then two trains might mistakenly be on the same track at the same actual time with catastrophic results.  So we have clocks everywhere and we are all theoretically synchronized.  That being said, in my experience time is extremely flexible.


When you were a kid didn't it seem like the year between Christmases took forever?  Summer seemed long in June but very short in August.  I remember watching the clock at school wishing it would get toward lunch time faster.  My fifth grade teacher used to give us timed quizzes and we all watched the clock for the minute hand to move so we'd all start together.  He would always point out how staring at the clock made the minute seem longer.

I'd wish for my birthday to come quickly and my mother would say "don't wish your life away".  She knew what she was talking about.  The days when my children were small seemed long at the time but in retrospect they flew by.  Of course as a parent it doesn't seem quite fair that sweet baby years are so few when compared with the SEVEN YEARS of being teens.  (At least we don't have to change their diapers during that phase of life.)  Probably since the world began parents have been telling their kids to enjoy childhood while it lasts and that the years go faster when your older.  Kids never believe this until they find out for themselves.  Children want to be older, bigger and independent.  

Einstein theorized that if we traveled at the speed of light then time would stand still.  After our voyage those back home would have aged in the meantime.  (Funny how that never happened on Star Trek though.)  So Einstein knew that time was flexible or to use his term "relative".

Humans have manipulated time into zones but we also have invented "daylight savings time".   Originally adopted during wartime to increase factory output during daylight hours we now use the excuse that it saves energy.  Long lauded by industrialists but disdained by farmers (whose animals stubbornly refuse to cooperate) the clocks change in spring and fall.  We love the extra hour of sleep in the autumn but hate losing an hour in April.  Personally I just hate waking up in the dark.  I remember the first time my mother woke me before dawn for school.  I thought she was confused.  Why was I awake when it was still night?  I've never gotten over it.  Instead of moving the clocks why don't we just start working later in the day?  It seems much more logical.

In the autumn the days get shorter as the weather turns cooler.  This change in the light is a signal to wildlife to stock up for winter.  Some mammals stow away nuts and acorns to tide them through the cold months.  Others build up extra layers of fat as insulation and prepare to hibernate.  These behaviors are evident in humans as well.  We crave comfort food and tend to put on pounds which we will resolve to lose when New Years Day rolls around.  Some humans become depressed at this time of year which is clinically referred to as Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Not until 1984 was this affliction described in medical literature.  However this time of year has traditionally been a difficult time for me to resist overeating.  Increased exposure to light,  especially outdoors, and and increased exercise are thought to be helpful.  Also vitamin D supplements are useful.  Other treatments include melatonin and antidepressants which target seratonin levels.  I started taking a vitamin D supplement a few years ago when I read that it was helpful for prevention of cancer.  I found I felt better in the fall than previously.

So the battle continues with myself and the clock.  A friend who lived in Panama told me that the sun comes up at 6 a.m. and sets at 6 p.m. every day all year round.  Seasonal Affective Disorder wouldn't be a problem there at all.  I suppose consistency is nice but I love those days in June when it doesn't get dark until nearly 10 p.m.  It's all relative.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I find time and our perception of it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete