Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Global WARMING????

This past week was a real challenge on many levels.  On October 29th we had an unprecedented freak snowstorm.  About a foot of snow fell on us!  The NY tristate area has only had major snow in October three times since 1888!  Since our beautiful autumn foliage had not even fallen off the trees yet and the snow was wet and heavy the impact was enormous.  Downed trees blocked roads, tore down electric wires, crushed homes and vehicles.  A week later thousands are still without power.  Some schools have been closed all week due to electricity outages or inaccessibility.  Some school districts have nearly depleted their allowance of snow days before winter has even begun.

In the ER we have seen dozens of victims of carbon monoxide poisoning from improperly vented generators or people using barbecue grills indoors.  Several people in the area died from the carbon monoxide. Since many of the suburban areas rely on well water homes without electricity also do not have running water because the well pumps need the juice.

Our family was lucky enough not to lose power.  Our lights dimmed a few times during the storm but stayed on. We had a lot of branches down in the neighborhood but no significant damages. The night before the storm we had our technical rehearsal for the opera scheduled for the next night.  Our director assured us that the show would go on so we were warned to do whatever we had to do to make sure we were at the theater.

The snow warnings were so incredible we didn't really believe we would get twelve inches of snow in October.  So three hours before call I set out for the theater.  Since I'd had four brand new tires put on my car the week before I felt ready for anything.  The roads were a horror.  There were spun-out cars everywhere.  Traffic was stopped dead on the parkway here and there because of cars sliding out of control.  There were downed trees and electric wires across roadways.  My new tires kept me from skidding but driving was tricky because of other vehicles with difficulty navigating the hazards.  I reached the theater unscathed just as my cell phone rang and was told the show was cancelled.  Local law enforcement had declared that the roads were closed to non-emergency vehicles.  So I turned toward home to battle the roads again.  The ride home was slow but less cars were on the roads by then so the ride was easier.

Impact to the ER was huge all week due to the usual snow related injuries, doctors offices with no power and  people needing support services.  Halloween was cancelled by the governor of Connecticut because it was unsafe for the children to be out with all the downed wires.  A week later those still without power have long ago lost their patience.  Electrical workers from out of state have come to help.  Convoys of bucket trucks are out every day and night.

On a personal level, I did miss out on the gym for a couple of days.  I let myself get into "survival mode" and did a little too much snacking.  I finally got on the scale yesterday and found I'm up two pounds.  I am not panicking however.  I've been tying to increase my protein.  I've been having instant oatmeal for breakfast because of the cold weather.  I realized that I could add protein powder to the oatmeal!  I'm experimenting now with ingredients to find just the right flavor.

Halloween went on as scheduled in our neighborhood.  What used to be a major chocolate overload passed without so much as an M&M passing my lips.  Thanksgiving is the next feeding frenzy to face.  I'll be working that day so I won't be cooking which will save me the calories I might nibble to taste what I'm preparing.  Our opera is rescheduled for December 3rd.  Meanwhile we await the real winter to begin.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment