Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Still a long way to go

When people are able to notice that I have lost weight it becomes like a drug.  I hear loads of compliments and I revel in the feeling of success.  This past weekend I got together with a bunch of friends who haven't seen me for several years.  They were all very happy that I looked so much better than the last time they saw me.

Two of the friends had come for a vacation in NY from the west coast.  On Monday they planned to do some sightseeing including a boat tour of some historic sites.  I asked if I could tag along since I have missed going to Manhattan.  I have been able to get around walking so much better than before my surgery I was pretty confident that I could manage to negotiate those sidewalks of NY like I used to do. 

Monday morning I took the train to Grand Central Station then the subway to the Wall Street area.  I walked past "Ground Zero" and went a few blocks to their hotel.  So far, so good.  We then walked over to the South Street Seaport and got our tickets for the boat.  We had to wait about 40 minutes for the boat but it was a glorious sunny day and there is so much to see just sitting there.  The boat ride lasted about an hour and afterward my friends wanted to go back to the hotel for a little bit.  I had wanted to go to Chinatown so we split up and planned to meet at Times Square later for dinner.

My knees were beginning to bother me at this point.  I caught a bus to Canal Street and set off to do some shopping.  Walking was becoming more uncomfortable by this time.  I couldn't find the part of Chinatown that has the stores that cater to tourists.  Instead I was in an area that was more like actually being in China.  I saw lots of fish and produce for sale but no "designer" handbags, watches or souvenirs.  I found a bench and sat for a while but when I began to walk again I seemed to be going in circles and still didn't find where I wanted to be.  Increasingly tired and sore I decided to give up and head for Times Square.  I got on a very crowded bus up to midtown but I was still over on the east side with quite a way to walk to Broadway and 42nd St.  I hailed a cab to ride the rest of the way.  By this time it was getting cloudy and while we were at dinner it began to rain.  Perhaps my arthritis was aggravated by the weather but I was finished sightseeing.  After going in the wrong direction for a block I walked slowly back to Grand Central Station and caught my train.  I could have taken the Times Square shuttle to Grand Central but I just couldn't see where the subway entrance was.  I was exhausted and really sore by the time I got home.

I had a blast with my friends in the city but I was blatantly reminded that I still have a long, long way to go.  I've lost 60 pounds but my goal is to lose 165 more.  All the compliments made forget this.  I'm better than I was but I'm not thin yet.

On a good note, I did have success with restaurant meals over the weekend and Monday.  I was able to eat just enough without any problems.  One day we went to Oktoberfest.  At that event I shared part of my husband's meal.  Another time about 25 of us met at a local diner.  While there, I ordered an appetizer, ate just enough for me and brought the rest home.  We went to an Italian restaurant in the city.  The food there was served family style so I could control my portions easily.  I'm learning when to stop eating to avoid any pouch discomfort. 

I had a wonderful time with my friends from my youth.  We all show some signs of wear and tear but we can still have a good time. 

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

2 comments:

  1. But it's nice to look back and see how far you've come. So look in both directions, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to read about your adventures in the city!

    I think that success with restaurant meals is a huge deal. That is an ongoing problem for me.

    Well done! and keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete