Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, February 26, 2012

I'm in Better Shape Than I Thought

Today I went to the gym and I was a little short of time.  I debated how I'd abbreviate my workout.  At first I thought about skipping the weight training but I didn't really want to do that.  I've been told that weight training helps boost metabolism (and burns more calories) better than aerobic exercise.  Then I decided instead of an hour on the stationary bike I could do a shorter workout on the elliptical trainer. It's been nearly a year since I'd attempted the elliptical.  Last March I could barely do 15 minutes and the machine kept pausing thinking I was stopping in spite of my best effort to keep going.  I was so winded that if I'd gone any longer I would have needed an ambulance!

So I decided to give the elliptical another try.  I've been trying to impact my knees as little as possible.  Lately one knee has a painful clicking sometimes when I go up stairs.  The knee felt pretty good today though.  I did 30 minutes without gasping for breath at all.  It was more of an effort than the bike because of the arm motion but I was feeling a pretty good endorphin rush by the time I stopped.  If I hadn't needed to get to opera rehearsal I could have kept going.  It was a cold day today but I had to take my coat off in the car because I was so warmed up.  The only down side was that my pedometer didn't register as many steps in those 30 minutes as I usually get in the same time on the bike.  I guess the action is smoother.

Currently we are working on Don Pasquale, a comic opera by Donizetti.  The chorus does a lot of running around while singing.  Think of a Bugs Bunny cartoon with a lot of slamming doors.  Sounds insane?  Probably.  Its lots of fun though.  I enjoy not being limited by my physical condition (or lack thereof)

In college I had a professor for an upper division class in sociology who looked like she was about 70 years old.  I wouldn't have been surprised if she was even older.  She was very well dressed and impeccably groomed.  She told us it she was trying to promote prolonging middle age.  At the time I was in my 20's and I thought that was a pretty funny statement.  Now, when I'm undeniably middle aged, I can see her point.  Yeah youth is nice while it lasts but this stage of life has its advantages.  Healthy living makes everything easier.  Staying active is being shown to combat mental decline in the elder years.  Since I probably won't be able to afford to retire anytime soon I guess I'd better keep my brain working as long as I can.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment