Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Down and Ten

Right now most of America is watching the Superbowl and eating way too much.  My family is watching the game mostly for the commercials.  Snacking here is pretty basic.  I watched the first half of the game but I didn't have enough interest to watch the halftime show.  I'm happy to be fairly immune to at least one annual food fest.  The grocery stores were mobbed yesterday.  I was surprised when I went to Shoprite and they were grilling hot dogs and selling them just where you walked in.

 Since Valentine's day is only nine days away the stores are filled with tons of chocolate.  I'm handling it though.  I walk right by.
A better snack is a Quest protein bar.  Only available online these bars are are much healthier and tastier than others I've tried.  Only 170 calories with 20 grams of protein.  The link below will take you to the website.  http://www.questproteinbar.com/       They are not paying me to advertise this.  Just saying.  They are pretty yummy.  My favorite is the cinnamon roll.  The chocolate is pretty good also.  

Recently at work we had an online learning module to teach the hospital employees to be more sensitive to the needs of the bariatric patient.  We see a lot of bariatric patients because of our weight loss surgery department.  It's interesting that we are encouraged not to use the word "big" when referring to larger size gowns, chairs, blood pressure cuffs and other equipment.  If larger sizes of these items are not available it is considered discrimination.  I am happy to see this type of awareness provided because over the years I have experienced much embarrassment and discomfort when there was no chair or gown big enough for me.  Unfortunately airlines are not so sensitive to this.  The last few times I flew on a plane I could not use the tray table.  I obviously needed a seat belt extender but only once did an airline hostess give me one without me having to ask  

  If you ask anyone who is or has been obese they could probably give you many examples of rudeness and discrimination they've experienced.  In this era of "political correctness" it is still permissible to make fat jokes.      The reasons for these attitudes toward the overweight escapes me.  Is it fear that we are contagious?  Is it contempt for our lack of self control?  People complain about obesity adding to the cost of health care.  While that is true so does smoking, drug abuse and alcoholism. Driving while under the influence of being overweight doesn't kill anybody.  People don't peddle high calorie food in back alleys to support their habits.  There is no illegal food trafficking or a White House appointed Fat Czar.  

Did anyone ever think of the health care costs incurred due to sports?  The thrill of victory verses the agony of defeat (or injury).  Extreme sports take extreme risks. The results can be pain, surgery, rehabilitation, limited mobility, disability and the occasional death.  I suppose it is more heroic to die on the football field after an illegal tackle than to allow your body to get out of control and finally do you in after many years.   

The most recent page I posted was a summary of my experience that has been chronicled in this blog.  A thought I had after that page was posted was that some people probably wonder how anyone could let themselves become so obese.  Well I didn't just jump into a fat suit one day.  Who would?  The truth is that it happens so slowly that you barely notice.  If your clothes are getting snug you can just buy a bigger size next time.  It is easy to look in the other direction when you walk by a mirror.  When you finally decided to do something and diet your body resists your efforts.  As a result you gain back more than was lost.  Look at celebrities who've been yoyo's such as Oprah, Roseanne, Marie Osmond, Kirstie Alley and Ricky Lake,  Even with corporate sponsors, personal chefs, personal trainers and media exposure they still struggle. 

 It isn't laziness folks.  It isn't a character flaw.  Its damn difficult.  If you do not have this struggle then you probably have other dragons to slay.  I hope you can rise above the challenges you face.  

Love to all, 
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment