Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Winter of My Imagination

Our surprisingly temperate January has given us some unusual opportunities to act like it isn't actually winter.  We've had a few bitter days and a rather small snowstorm last weekend but haven't really had much wintry precipitation since the storm in October.  On Saturday my grandson was enjoying the sunny day at the park and said to me "Grandma swing".  It had been many years since I'd been on any playground equipment but when Enzo insisted I couldn't refuse.  I was surprised that my bottom fit comfortably on the seat and I felt the child-like delight of swinging in a high arc.  

I'm rather relieved that the weather has been nice since my winter outerwear has needed replacing.  I'd bought a new jacket soon after Christmas when everything was on sale.  It was a really cute purple down-filled jacket with a faux fur trimmed hood and 70% off the original price. It was really warm but it had an unfortunate tendency to shed feathers everywhere.  (The tag actually said the filling was down AND feathers- apparently an important distinction.)  After two weeks of finding them in my car and all over my clothing I took it back to the store.  I had thrown away the receipt and so only could get a merchandise credit.  I found another coat in the store, a teal green microfiber jacket with only polyester filling. It was not quite as warm as the first jacket but was very comfortable.   

After less than a week of the new coat I found the zipper tape was coming loose.  I decided to take it back and found a receipt in my purse for what I thought was the first coat and triumphantly approached the courtesy desk and hoped to be walking out with my money so I could shop somewhere else.  It was, in fact, the receipt from the second coat and I again received a merchandise credit.  The store was now depleted of most of their winter coats since it is now time to move in the spring merchandise in time for the President's Day sales.  Nothing in the store interested me but a sales associate suggested I order one on the store kiosk.  Kohl's lets you order merchandise online and offer free shipping if purchased in the store.  I chose yet another coat and am awaiting its arrival.  

When I went to print my copy of the order the kiosk printed someone else's order for two bras.  I pointed this error out to a sales associate who replied "That isn't good".  Concerned that my personal information might pop out to the next customer we both went to tell the manager.  Foolishly thinking that after all this aggravation I might be entitled to some compensation from Kohl's after my never ending ordeal to simply buy a warm coat I related my saga to the manager.  Well trained in assertiveness, she politely refused me any compensation for my negative shopping experience in spite of my pleas for sympathy.  The kiosk, she explained,  was not actually under her jurisdiction. I reminded her that the two defective coats were purchased in her realm but I was dealing with the "broken record technique" and she repeated that nothing could be done.  The manager then told the sales associate to simply unplug the kiosk so it would then dump my information before it could be distributed to a passing identity thief.  

In the interim while waiting for my new coat I found a jacket at home in the back of the hall closet that nobody remembered buying.  It had the tags still attached and it fit me well.  I've been wearing that jacket for the past few days and when the new coat is delivered I might just take it back to Kohl's and buy some other clothes. I can use some new pants since I have some that are practically falling off.  

On a different note, I noticed yesterday at 5:30 pm that the sky was not completely dark.  I'm always pleasantly surprised each year when I notice that the nights are not as long they were in December.  Spring is a long way off but the lengthening days always have an uplifting effect on me.  I'm still hanging near the same plateau and need a jumpstart to get past it.  Maybe the brighter days will do it.  

Love to all, 
Marlena of Mohegan.  


No comments:

Post a Comment