Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tis the Season

Well, its that time of year again.  The annual salute to gluttony has arrived.  I'm not opposed to the American tradition of giving thanks for our blessings on a Thursday in November.  The thankful part has been overshadowed by overconsumption and corporate greed.  I went to a nearby mall last weekend ( I rarely need to go there anymore)  Thanksgiving was barely apparent as most of the and merchandise decorations  were Christmas themed.  My senses were assaulted by holiday goodies.  Oh the festive Godiva chocolate boxes, the cookies and cakes were on display everywhere.  I wanted them.  I could almost taste them.  I resisted.

At the hospital where I work it's still Thanksgiving season.  We have two robots that deliver supplies and they are dressed up as turkeys with pilgrim hats.  I'll be working on the holiday which gets me out of the kitchen!  Yay!  My hubby will be cooking our turkey but he was a cook when he was in the Navy so dinner for ten people is no big deal.  I'm brining the turkey today.  Soaking overnight in brine makes the bird more juicy and flavorful.  I'll be making the stuffing tonight so all he has to do is stuff it in.  (My family prefers the stuffing be in the bird).  My personal secret ingredient for my stuffing is fennel bulb chopped up like celery.  I also put in browned bulk sausage.  

After I get the turkey in the brine this morning I'm off to the gym.  Planet Fitness has abbreviated hours for the holiday weekend but I'll get there today and on Black Friday.  While everyone is busting down the doors to Walmart and Target I'll be sweating on the stationary bike.  Some stores are opening on Thursday night because they can't wait for Friday.  Now I understand that the economic climate has been grim.  I have to work on Thanksgiving because that's what nurses always do.  However, a deal on a flat-screen TV or an electronic game can wait for Friday.  Let workers have the time with their families to overeat and watch football.
I have much to be thankful for this year.  I'm so happy to be healthier than I have been in years. Thanks to all my doctors for getting me here.  I have wonderful children and grandchildren.  I have a loving husband and a place to live.  My mom has reached the age of 80 and is still a vital part of my life.  We often forget that there are so many millions in the world who have so much less than we do here in the USA.  Some have forgotten why this country was founded and have brought about changes that take away some of our hard-fought freedoms.  Some feel that our nation is no longer great.  In spite of that there are thousands who struggle to get to this country.  We would not have an illegal immigration problem if there was nothing worth coming here for.  I'm thankful I was lucky enough to be born here.

I hope my readers will enjoy the holiday with their families.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment