Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, September 30, 2011

"Let's Not Get Paranoid"

I've had my slip ups.  There are multiple habits that caused me to be obese and I have been starting to engage in again.  

#1  Night Snacking - sitting at the computer or watching tv with continuous nibbling of this and that.  
#2  Eating in the Car - what is it about a moving car that makes me want to eat?  
#3 Stress eating - the stress is no different whether or not I eat something.  

and a new habit
#4 Eating after exercising.  I am sometimes ravenous after my workout at the gym.  
I weighed myself about 10 days ago and was 2 pounds heavier.  Then, this week there were another 2 pounds.  Well this caused a RED ALERT!  This can not continue.  Time for reorganizing myself.  

I had been neglecting my food entries in My Fitness Pal.  I immediately started with that very day even though the total calories for that day were beyond what I should have eaten.  I removed the trash bag from my car.  I was dismayed to see all the wrappers of consumed snacks.  True there were no candy bars or Big Mac wrappers.  There were, however, protein bars, soy crisps and a Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger.  NO, NO, NO!  I thought about taking a picture of the trash just to show how many wrappers were in there but I was too ashamed of myself.  
That night, after the gym, I bought some fresh fruit for my evening snack.  I've increased my fluid intake and I've recorded every morsel of food since then.  
Yesterday, at work, I bumped into Dr. Choi, my bariatric surgeon.  She was happy to see how well I move around these days.  I confessed to her that I had gained four pounds.  She replied "lets not get paranoid now"  but agreed that it was a wake up call for me.  She told me that my habits will make or break my success.  The next two years will determine whether or not my weight loss will be permanent.  She suggested not eating anything that comes in a package.  She also encouraged more fruits and veggies and less starchy carbs.  She mentioned crackers as a problem for a lot of her patients and I did not mention but mentally clicked off those graham crackers.  

While redesigning the blog I came across this picture from before my surgery.  It does keep me in perspective  in that four pounds is not so much.  It is equal to the weight of a half gallon of milk.  The other picture, taken today, shows that I'm much better off than I was in June of 2010!  So I will not be depressed about a little setback.  I will not comfort myself with unhealthy snacks.  I WILL keep track of my food and activity!  I WILL have a long, healthy life!
Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

1 comment:

  1. You've made so many great changes to your habits. You can keep doing it!
    Go, Go, Go!!!

    ReplyDelete