Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11 Ten Years Later

 Today was the ten year anniversary of September 11, 2001.  I lost a wonderful coworker that day.  Christopher Blackwell, a paramedic in Danbury,  Connecticut also was a New York City Fireman with Rescue 3 in the Bronx.  Only one helmet was all that was ever found of his entire unit.  This is a picture closeup of a commemorative tee shirt which was sold to raise money for his family.  I could not wear mine until last year because I was too big.

Last year I proudly wore my shirt on the 9th anniversary of 9-11. I had lost 60 pounds in three months and was feeling healthier than I had in years.  (That's me in the middle)

Today I put that shirt on again.  Its a lot bigger today than it was a year ago.  So far I've lost 166 pounds since my gastric by-pass.


I am proud to honor the brave heroes of that tragic day.  My own personal struggles do not compare with those of the families who so abruptly lost loved ones.  I saw on TV Christopher's daughter as she read his name at the New York City commemorative ceremony today.  She was wearing the uniform of the NYPD.  His son became a member of NYFD.  What a wonderful way to honor their father by their service.

September 11th, 2001 was a clear, cloudless day until those planes hit the towers.  The smoke and clouds of dust did not reach my home fifty miles from ground zero but the gloom and fear certainly did.  That day I cooked comfort food for my family.  I made homemade lasagne.  How like me to use food to soothe the fears of my children.  Throughout my life I have used oral gratification to ease pain and angst.

The endless news footage of the events at the three sites of tragedy continued to bombard us for weeks.  Today, ten years later, I cannot watch.  I can see the towers fall without looking.  I  see the gray clouds of dust billowing down the city streets.  Thousands who had escaped the towers ran in fear from those clouds.

I still have the urge to use comfort food to assuage stress and pain.  I don't know if I'll ever completely get over that habit.  I am better than I was ten years ago.  I did not make lasagne today.

Love to all, especially those who serve our cities and our nation,
Marlena of Mohegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment