Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Heart Will Go On!

Today I had an appointment with my cardiologist and an echocardiogram.  (basically an ultrasound of my heart). He was delighted to tell me that I have completely reversed my left ventricular hypertrophy.  A year ago my heart was working extra hard because of all my excess weight.  This caused the walls of the left ventrical to increase in size because of all the extra effort required.  Additional symptoms were increasing heart rate with exertion and edema (swelling) of my ankles and lower legs.
Comparing a normal heart with one with LVD


cross section of heart with thickened walls of left ventricle.  

Its no wonder I feel so much better.  Dr. Jarrett told me he is very proud of me and that I should be proud of myself.  I just know I feel fantastic compared to one year ago.  Naturally the heart problems would have contributed to worsening symptoms and death.  There is no way to know how soon that would have happened but I know that I was literally dying last year.  We have no guarantees in life.  I could die tomorrow in a traffic accident.  I could get struck by a falling meteor or a stray bullet from a drive-by shooting.  One thing for sure is that I am no longer suffering from chronic congestive heart failure.  Live is wonderful and I'm enjoying my rebirth!

Love to all, 
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment