Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, May 2, 2011

By George I Believe I've Struck Endorphins

A while ago I mentioned that my psychiatrist advised that endorphins usually don't kick in till after 30 minutes of exercise.  I took that advice and started doing the exercise bike for around 60 minutes at a time.  I listen to my workout music on my IPod and have felt pretty good.

Usually after my workout I use the Planet Fitness massage chair for 5-10 minutes.  You sign in for the chair and the attendant gives you tokens for the chair.  Tonight when I signed in I had difficulty writing.  It felt like when I'd try to write after having an argument with someone.  I discovered this one day in high school.  After a loud disagreement with one of my friends I sat down in a classroom and started taking notes.  I found that my hand was difficult to control and my words came out much larger than my usual penmanship.  I've had this happen a few more times in my lifetime and I attribute this phenomenon to an adrenalin rush.  Its kind of like developing superhuman strength in a crisis.  Fortunately I've never had to lift a car off of one of my children.  I did have a car accident on the San Diego Freeway once.  The horn wouldn't stop blowing because the steering wheel bent forward while I was standing on the brake trying not to hit the car in front of me.  After realizing what the noise was from I unbent the steering wheel to get the horn to quit.  Now somebody told me that these days steering wheels are meant to be flexible to minimize chest trauma but I still don't think I could have moved that wheel without a body chemical stimulant.  I've really gone off on a tangent here!  The point I was aiming for was that I felt so "juiced up"  on endorphins that it caused the same type of chemical rush.  I was feeling pretty good while doing my cycling and wasn't in a hurry to stop.  Who would have thought that I'd ever be reluctant to STOP exercising?  My, my!

On Saturday I my husband and I got to watch all four of our grandchildren for a while.  Grandma and Grandpa had our hands full but everyone survived.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment