Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Day at the Beach

Aah, the beach.  As in ocean.  It's been years since I braved the beach.  After my weight loss surgery and dropping 170 lbs. I have still been reluctant to be seen in a swimsuit.  But last Friday I was off work and the waves beckoned to me.  I went with my daughter and grandson to Jones Beach on Long Island.  As the crow flies it isn't that far but a trip to Long Island from my home in Westchester County, NY requires driving through the Bronx and Queens and over a toll bridge.  It's worth the traffic though because it is an amazingly beautiful beach.  No commercial signs or businesses are in sight of the place.  No high rise hotels or restaurants.  Just beach. 

The waves were not super rough but enough that I got knocked over a couple of times.  The undertow was pretty strong too.  I found that my knee problems make keeping my balance in the surf more difficult than it used to be.  I don't know how to explain it except that my knees felt loose.  I guess that qualifies as unstable knees. 

 My feet at Jones Beach
Still the sheer exhilaration of ocean swimming makes lake or pool swimming boring by comparison.  I don't go to the ocean often but I like to know that it is nearby when I want it.  I feel sorry for all the people who live too far inland to get there easily. 

Enzo and his Mommy in the surf.
This was my grandson's first time in salt water (tasted yucky) and in real waves.  He absolutely loved the water and didn't mind getting knocked over once in a while.  He was thrilled that there was more sand than in his wildest dreams.  Of course even though his mom rinsed him off he still brought a lot of sand back home. 


Before my weight loss surgery I could not have managed a day like this.  I was in such poor health I could not have walked to the water from my car.  It is wonderful to be able to share something I love with my grandson for the first time.  Such simple pleasures are often the best memories. 

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

No comments:

Post a Comment