Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Not the Usual "Operacation"

It's time for another opera, Donizetti's Don Pasquale.  This time we're doing the comedy set in present day in the slapstick style of classic movie comedies and Loony Toons.  Bugs Bunny would not seem out of place in this production.  The chorus part of this opera is not very big so I decided to work my usual schedule during "hell week".

Last Monday toward the end of my workday my throat became rapidly scratchy.  I was croaking before bedtime and on Tuesday morning I could barely talk let alone sing.  Since my Sunday nursery charges are not too careful about where they spread germs I was afraid I might have strep throat.  I took the day off and saw my doctor who did a throat culture and put me on an antibiotic.  I felt even worse the next day so I stayed home again.  I'm glad I saved my voice because once before I had a case of voice strain/laryngitis that affected a performance.  That time I ended up seeing an ENT doctor who did a direct laryngoscopy and put me on steroids.

On Friday night we had a rehearsal/performance for an elementary school audience in Mamaroneck, NY.  I originally planned to work that day but found the call had been set at 4:30 p.m. about the time I'm just leaving work.  To get to Mamaroneck via the Hutchinson Parkway on a Friday evening during rush hour is really a stretch.  The "Hutch" can be a nightmare most any time of day so I felt the best thing to do was to take a personal day from work so I could make sure I could get there.  I lucked out and found another nurse to work my shift with only one phone call.  So I spent the morning with my fellow opera mates loading scenery into a truck then unloading it at the school.  It was a long day but the children really enjoyed the show even though many were too young to read the supertitles.  The visual humor along with the beautiful music was more than enough to satisfy their senses.

The next day we rehearsed at the same location then moved all the scenery pieces again to the main stage in Yorktown for the remainder of the performances.  I worked at the ER today then tomorrow the usual "hell week" schedule resumes.  I'll be working Tuesday and Friday and singing every night except Thursday when we have a daytime performance for schoolchildren.  

I'm feeling pretty good in spite of all the heavy lifting of the scenery and the crazy schedule of driving and performing.  Before my weight-loss surgery I was in no shape to handle all that activity.  I definitely appreciate being  a more productive person!  I did skip the gym this week but I feel I'm making up for it.  Since I haven't been to the gym my pedometer steps are less than usual but I'll just have to just pick up the pace after the opera is done.

I am so lucky to be part such a talented group of artists.  These days the grim economic climates threatens the arts on many levels.  I was never fortunate enough to have access to opera as a child.  I did, however, participate in music throughout my years in school with vocal, instrumental and dance groups.  I was surprised  when our high school band director gave us music that I recognized from classic cartoons, The Lone Ranger TV show and even the odd commercial. Only now are researchers finding that music education contributes to cognitive ability in mathematics.  I guess that's why I never had much trouble with algebra or trigonometry.

Even more than the cultural value of the music is the excitement of bringing something beautiful to new ears.  I enjoy being able to sing to the rafters with nobody telling me to be quiet.

Love to all,
Marlena of Mohegan

1 comment:

  1. It's such a joy to read of your progress, and the fulfillment you're getting now that you're able to do more. Congratulations, again.

    ...and who is that devilishly handsome man whose picture is on the program? ;)

    ReplyDelete